- The needle is now “shallower” and delivers the vaccine under the skin rather than into the muscle. (Developed to make it less painful, but really?)
- 166 million doses were made this year from the "killed" virus. Guess what. You can't kill viruses!
- There is a nasal spray format of the vaccine for people under 49 - made from activated virus. Apparently this won't give you the flu and is safe. Um, how?
- Children younger than 9 are supposed to get two doses of the same vaccine as adults to "fully protect" them. Two doses! The average 9 year old weighs 60 pounds, and we're doing that to them?
- There’s another version (oh yes, another one!) that is more potent than the "normal" one. Guess what - it's intended for people older than 65. The CDC fully states that "older people’s weakened immune systems may not develop a robust enough response to the standard vaccine to adequately protect them". Okay then, I have an idea! Let's lace their retirement-home issued Ensure with LSD too! Yeah, that's a brilliant plan!
I don't know what to make of all this. I mean if you have to get the shot for work or school, you have to. But most of us are just fine without it, and actually would benefit from not giving our bodies a false alarm that something's wrong. Want to train your immune system to be a better fighter of all the Winter bugs (including the rampant colds), not just the generally rare influenza? Take probiotics, get outside and move, eat a decent, balanced diet and chill out already - the stress ain't helping.