Adding the nutrients we all need for optimal health through whole foods doesn't have to be expensive or require being attached to the kitchen 24 hours a day. Nor does it have to be expensive or boring! Antioxidants like anthocyanins and polyphenols abound in most richly-coloured foods, the darker the better, and it's hard to claim that anything as odd looking as black garlic or as pungent as Chinese black vinegar is boring! Fibre, iron, folate and molybdenum pack the cheap and versatile lentil, while you can get more than enough vitamin A and almost all your vitamin C from a side of kale.
"Over to the Dark Side" SaladServes 6
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1/2 cup black rice (this is not the same as wild rice), soaked overnight
1 cup black lentils (also called beluga lentils)
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 black radish, peeled and diced
1 bunch of Tuscan kale (also called black or dinosaur kale), destemmed and sliced into thin strips
1 medium carrot, julienned (if you have purple carrots it sort of keeps the salad a similar colour)
3 tbsp black vinegar (Chinkiang vinegar) or balsamic vinegar
1 clove black garlic, mashed (you can omit this if you can't find it or use roasted garlic)
2 tbsp raw agave nectar or brown rice syrup
1/2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Combine broth and water in a measuring cup.
- Divide between two saucepans - 3 cups in one and 1 in the other.
- Bring the pot with the lesser amount of liquid to a boil and add the black rice. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the liquid in the other pot to a boil and add the lentils. Reduce the heat to a brisk simmer and cook 20 minutes, then drain well.
- When both the rice and lentils are cooked, transfer them both to a bowl and stir in the ginger. Cool completely (you can do this a day ahead).
- Toss the radish dice with a good amount of Kosher salt (the exact amount depends on how large your radish is) and place in a colander. Let stand 1 hour, then rinse and drain well.
- Toss the kale with the carrot, cooled lentils and rice, and rinsed radish.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, garlic, agave, soy sauce, oils, pepper and salt, then pour over the salad and toss well.
- Cover and chill at least 24 hours.
- Just before serving, fold in the black sesame seeds.
Calories: 284.7Total Fat: 7.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 466.2 mg
Total Carbs: 38.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.8 gProtein: 12.6 g