Friday, February 7, 2014

A Healthy Treat: Creamsicle Juice

Sometimes you get a craving for something so specific that it's impossible to ignore. Even though it's the dead of winter, the fresh, cool fruitiness of orange popsicles in Summer weather is crave-worthy - after all, we don't really have the option of lounging on a sunny beach in January! However, your run-of-the-mill pops are packed with simple sugar-water, colour and flavour (and not much in the way of nutrients). Empty calorie bombs on a stick would be an adequate description!

Enter the world of juicing. While I'm not a huge advocate of juice as a dietary staple (due to it's lack of fibre and rapidly digesting sugars), pulling out the juicer for an occasional treat like popsicles or sorbets has numerous benefits over storebought mixes and pre-fabricated novelties. For one, you obviously get more nutrients from "real food", and making the treats yourself means you can customize them to fit with your family's tastes and dietary needs. For instance, around here I would probably use a combination of water and pineapple juice for the coconut water (being allergic to coconut) and amp up the vanilla element, especially if freezing it (which mutes flavours). However, I know people who would accentuate the coconut element with a shot of spiced or vanilla-flavoured rum - a handy trick for making sorbets to keep them scoopable in the freezer.

I have to give credit to one of my co-teachers at school for the idea behind this - she's a health nut like me and always comes up with the best-sounding combinations of simple, whole foods!

Creamsicle Juice
Serves 4
5-8 Tangelos (or 4 tangerines and 3 large oranges)
2 cups coconut water (or half coconut water half water)
5 Fuji apples, cored and roughly chopped (leave peel on)
5 large carrots
1/2 a vanilla bean, scraped of seeds, pod minced
pinch cinnamon
  1. Run all ingredients through a juicer
  2. Enjoy chilled in a frosty glass, freeze into popsicles or churn into sorbet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo

I started my "working life" as a holistic and allopathic nutritional consultant with a love of cooking. Teaching the value of wholesome meal choices to families became close to my heart after I battled a long history of struggles with weight and health, and the passion for teaching led me into where I am now. My blog, which focuses on "bringing good taste to healthier food" through creative use of whole grains, fresh produce and acknowledging the importance of the occasional treat, also features a wealth of "specialty diet" friendly recipes for gluten-, egg-, dairy- and sugar- tree nut-free items that everyone can enjoy without alienating those who need them.

Overall, I want to bring back the desire for good quality, homemade, (mostly) healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of families so that the next generation will be less box-reliant than mine. I firmly believe that any “homemade” food, even when labelled as "naughty", is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk. With the knowledge of good food (and how to cook good food) as a base, a healthy lifestyle can follow, and then anything is possible!

Today, my love for teaching is branching out even further - I'm in Montessori training to solidify my love for the system and working with children and families!